MY STORY

My photo
Photo circa 1947, I always wanted to be a cowboy! Whether working for a short time on the historic Hansen Ranch in Jackson Hole as a young man, just out of the service, to working the stock at the Jackson Rodeo, it nurtured in me a love of the American Cowboy. From my home in Dubois,Wyoming. I look forward each spring to roundup time with my good Friend, John Sides. On his 20,000 acre cattle ranch in South Dakota, each year we relive what ranchers and cowboys have done since cattle were introduced to the west. Little has changed in a hundred years and the experience and camaraderie is all cowboy. The period of 1820 to 1880 on the western plains was the most colorful in American history. Unfortunately, I was born too late to experience it first hand.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dubois Hikes



Well, just a quick note to catch up on my stay in Dubois before getting back to serious painting. The Susan K Black Workshop and show was held in Dubois in September and the painting of the black cowboy, "For Hire",that I did this summer, received a first place in oils. We did a lot of plein air painting and visiting with other artists. We took many hikes to places like Jade Lake with Gary Keimig and my wife Kathy. It is not hard to see where the lake got it's name. We also went to Gunsight Pass above Green Lake and the Green River on the Pinedale side of the Wind River Mountains with fellow artist Steve left and Ann Wernike . What a spectacular sight in the fall of the year.



Last but not least was a very tiring but moving hike to Bomber Falls where a B 24 Bomber crashed in 1943 during a training mission and all 11 aboard were lost. It is very high up in the Wind River Mountains just above a beautiful falls. The crash site is still littered with debris after all these years. Things take a long time to break down in this dry climate. The aluminum fuselage still is as shiney as the day it crashed. Fitting that I post this on Veterans Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment